Wednesday, November 14, 2012

{When Friends are Gone}

There are people in my life that I take for granted.

Oh, I thank God for them and I smile at their presence but I never think about them leaving.

I just think that they'll be in my life forever.

I know that's not realistic. I know that God puts people in your life when you need them and He can move you on when He wants to.

But you don't think about that day. and you don't imagine it will come knocking at your door tomorrow.
~~~~
We've known them for 8 years and his 18 years to my 15 makes us more like brother and sister than anything else. He works at the church and is at HPA every week and takes classes at our co-op and is always there.

And while I don't always talk to him and sometimes a wave is the only interaction we have in a day he has always been a part of the picture.

He's a constant. I thought he always would be because he's the one who owns the business that's booming already in its 2nd year. The business that was supposed to grow into landscaping and other yard work things that I know nothing about but he did.

But he's taking a trip across the country this summer. and a few days ago he spoke of the military and SEALS and 6 years and everything in my heart was screaming "no", and I was glad that it was dark to hide my sudden shock.

This is his passion. He will do it and do it well and he will shine a strong- oh, such a strong- light for Christ through that broken world.

But it doesn't make it any easier.

I'll search for him at church and wait for his laugh at HPA before my head tells my heart he's gone.

I'm miss his teasing and his faces and his passion. I'll miss the ways he shows his sweet spirit to others- like bringing them caramel hot chocolate when he knows they're having a bad day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The whole thing threw me for a loop. And when things throw me for a loop, I sit and puzzle about them until the way straightens out again.

God is so good and has given me so many people who are all in my life for a reason. I am so blessed by all the little things they do and so often, I don't realize the impact they've made on my life.

The past few days have made me think hard about the role that different people play. I've determined to thank them more, to show my gratitude and love in ways to make them smile. I'm going to think about what my life would look like without them and then thank God that that's not my reality.

And then I will live life to the fullest. every moment. I will dance and I will sing and hug and smile and then I will thank God.

Because He has blessed me with amazing friends here and now.

No comments: